York University’s Teaching Commons has a series of relevant resources on assessment. They include the following resources provided here in downloadable format:
- Guide to Alternative Assessments – Each of the 35 alternative assessments highlighted in this document contains a description, the benefits, challenges and solutions, examples, rubrics, and additional resources.
- Alternative Assessments for Remote Teaching – This guide outlines a variety of alternative assessment strategies that can be used in remote or online teaching. These strategies are organized as low, medium, and high levels of preparation and investment.
- Guide to Large Classroom Assessments – This guide is designed to help instructors think about assessment strategies in large classrooms. The guide includes examples of techniques, tips, and tricks, as well as examples of rubrics and alternative assessment ideas.
- Open Book Exam Toolkit – This toolkit will help you consider the steps to creating and implementing open book exams.
- Rubrics Handout – This short handout can act as a quick guide for using rubrics, including information and examples on different types of rubrics.
- Feedback Handout – This short handout can act as a quick guide for providing feedback in online courses, including information and examples on different types of feedback.
- OER as Alternative Assessment Handout – This short handout can act as a quick guide for using Open Educational resources to design alternative assessment.